From coast to coast, international border to international border, mountain top to cave depths, the Unites States of America is filled with opportunities to discover, learn and explore nature, history and heritage.
The National Parks are a great place to hear about stories of America’s people and places and learn about the rich natural resources that can be found in the USA.
• Lava Beds National Monument, California - Volcanic eruptions created a high desert wonderland of more than 800 caves, Native American rock art sites, historic battlefields and Valor in the Pacific.
• Oregon Caves National Monument & Preserve, Oregon - “Caves are windows into the earth.” Eons of acidic water seeping into marble rock created and decorated the wondrous “Marble Halls of Oregon”.
• John Day Fossil Beds National Monument, Oregon - Exhibits and a working lab at the Thomas Condon Paleontology Center as well as outdoor opportunities allow visitors to meet Oregon's ancient plants and animals.
• Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee / North Carolina - The most visited park in the entire National Park Service. 12.55 million annual visitors must agree, this is a special place.
• Congaree National Park, South Carolina - Majestic old growth bottomland hardwood forest where you can find astonishing biodiversity.
• Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas - Ancient thermal springs & historic bathhouses have been preserved, drawing people for health benefits spanning hundreds of years.
REVIEW: Midwest Book Review, The Library DVD Shelf
Part of the Discoveries... America National Parks series of video essays on DVD, Caves, Fossils, Nature & Hot Springs showcases a wide assortment of breathtaking natural wonders in American parks. The gorgeous footage and vivid descriptions make Caves, Fossils, Nature & Hot Springs the next best thing to an in-person tour! Spotlighted locations include California lava beds, Oregon caves (such as the "Marble Halls of Oregon"), the John Day Fossil Beds, the Great Smoky Mountains, ancient thermal springs of Arkansas, and more. Captivating and educational, Caves, Fossils, Nature & Hot Springs is highly recommended both for armchair travelers and public library DVD collections. 57 min.