Great Basin Geosphere is a unique 200,000 square mile piece of real estate. High desert and mountains cover 20% of the lower 48 United States... Including most of Nevada, southern Oregon, Idaho, Western Utah and a portion of eastern California. This vast area is much more than “just a desert.”
Featuring the Great Basin National Heritage Area
Great Basin National Park, Nevada
- The park begins over a mile above sea level and reaches over 13,000 feet at the pinnacle of Wheeler Peak.
- Explore mysterious subterranean passages on a ranger guided tour of Lehman Cave.
- Hike through the Bristlecone pine trees which can live to be 5,000 years old.
- Bask in the darkest of night skies.
Nevada Northern Railway National Historic Landmark
- Experience a working museum where you can wander through old railroad buildings
- Watch 21st century trainmen and women repair 19th century equipment.
- Ride on a living, breathing, moving and steaming museum!
- Tour the East Ely Yard & Shop Complex while engineers prepare locomotives for travel.
- Learn from folks passionate about preserving this survivor from a grand era of railroading in the Silver State.
- The Nevada Northern Railway is one of the best-preserved examples of a standard-gauge short-line left in North America and one of the most complete rail facilities still in existence. Consisting of the original railway locomotives, rolling stock, track, passenger station, and buildings that served the historic copper mining region of Central Nevada for over a century.
- 55 minutes
- Available on DVD, Blu-ray and Download
NP30 REVIEW: The Midwest Book Review
Part of the "Discoveries... America National Parks" series of beautiful, high-definition video essays showcasing America's natural splendors, Great Basin: Caves, Trains & Wide Open Spaces is a virtual tour of this spectacular area of high desert and mountains. Spotlights include the Great Basin National Park of Nevada; the Nevada Northern Railway National Historic Landmark, a museum that invites visitors to take a walking tour through old railroad buildings, and observe living, breathing locomotives from the 19th century; and the Nevada Northern Railway, one of the most complete rail facilities still in existence. A treasure for admirers of nature's breathtaking splendor and railroading fans alike, Great Basin is enthusiastically recommended for public library collections, gift-giving, or simply savoring the next best thing to a personal cross-country vacation! 56 min., available in both DVD and Blu-ray format.